Tuesday

THE WEEK OF APRIL 20, 1952 -- SOPHOMORES GET TO SERVE AT BANQUET/PROM

Monday - April 21
Dear Diary,
     Finally! It’s almost here–the Junior/Senior Banquet and Prom. Us lowly life sophomores had our meeting today with the Junior Class Sponsor, Mr. Williams. Gladys modeled her peasant blouse and skirt. Old man Williams said he thought the white blouse and black skirt was very grown up but he didn’t like the multicolored sashes. I spoke up and reminded him that the theme was Fiesta Time-South of the Border. Us girls couldn’t very well serve at the banquet in just our black and white school colors. Fiesta means bold, bright colors! Something pale-faced Williams knows nothing about.

Thursday - April 24
Dear Diary,
     Claudia and I got in big trouble today in Home Ec class. We were the only two who had not finished our skirts for serving at the banquet. Our teacher, Mrs. Brown, who is always in a bad mood anyway, said Claudia and I were jolly on the spot when something fun was up, but when there was work to be done, we were nowhere to be found. I don’t see anything wrong with that. We have plenty of time to finish them.



                                                        ************************


LINDA'S BACKGROUND INFORMATION

     Before I start revealing the pages from my diary, let me give you some background. My name is Linda, I was born in Westwood, a little farming community of about 2,500. In the middle of World War II my father passed away. With only a high school education and very little money down, my mom purchased the town’s coffee shop and café.
     My three best friends were Claudia, Marqueita and Sue. Through good times and bad times we were always together. Tim, my friend since second grade, was not exactly my boyfriend, but he was special. We were there for each other. Having no brothers and sisters, my friends were very important to me.
     Westwood was one of many small communities in the county, which were all within 12miles of Fairview, the county seat. The main attraction was the Saturday midnight show at Fairview’s Palace Theater. For the most part in the early 1950s, there were no complications of drugs, alcohol or premarital sex. We had peer pressure, but not to the extent of the peer pressure of today. Of course it wasn’t blissful every day. We had our share of disappointments and heartache and sometimes life was interrupted with death...and as my diary will reveal, even murder.
     Maybe my teenage years in Westwood weren’t very different from any one else’s in the 1950s. But I think it’s important to document how life was back then. I encourage the reader to leave comments on this site about the memories of their youth. I’ll be updating weekly, so follow me through high shool until graduation. Start blogging about your happy memories or put them down on paper. It is important to document your youth for your children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. As we move father away from that time, those days will fade forever

No comments:

Post a Comment